Gratitude

Hello old friends, and maybe a few new friends.

It's been almost a year since we last spoke. When I left you I was headed into springtime with new goals, and the same lack of motivation. Here is a recap of where I've been.

April: I ran the OKC 1/2 for the second (or third?) time. I was barely trained as I had spent most of the first quarter of 2017 with a respiratory virus. Blech. It was in the low 30s, and raining, for most of the race. My time was dismal, in my opinion, (#runnerprobs), but I finished. My guy was there, cheering me on along the course, and I had some great friends brave the cold to watch me cross the finish line. Real talk, that's what is important.

May: I wasn't quite finished with my YTT, but I started teaching public classes at a local health and wellness business. Since then I've taught the football team at the university, a few local gyms have asked me to step in for random yoga sessions, I've taught some classes at the new spa downtown, and my little yoga tribe has grown into a twice/weekly ritual that would grow more, if I had the time.

June: I took another REAL vacation! The day after my YTT final I flew to Alabama to spend a week at the beach with my guy and his family. He didn't enjoy it so much, as he was put out on the couch, but I had my own room, private bathroom, and the sun on my face. Oh man, it was perfect! We hunted for sand fleas and nocturnal crabs. We ate seafood for EVERY meal. I was tan, and happy. Calgon, take me away.

July: As if getting older isn't stressful enough for women, what with the thinning hair and creaky knees, I was reminded too often of how old I was getting. I was reminded that if I wanted to start a family soon I'd better 'tell him to get moving'. It wasn't my age this year, it was the intrusion into my personal life that ruined it for me. I know how old I am, and so does he. Chill. In the end, he and I talked out my anxiety, and despite Gategate (that's another story), the birthday moved on into history. I did get great presents, and was made to feel very special. As with every birthday, I hope I didn't ruin the celebration for others.

August: I gave my notice to my long-time employer in an attempt to search for new opportunities. I took a few interviews, and was semi-interested in some things, but in the end, the big guy came through with an offer for me to try new things, right were I was. This made for a long second half of the year. Training new people, traveling, working out of boxes... I'm now in my new role, new office, and have new things to stress over. Yay?

September: We celebrate 1 year since the twinkle puff twins surprised the world.  Momma and babies are doing so great. Momma is still adjusting to the work/twins life, and twins are just being babies. We witnessed 2 weddings, I started sugaring my underarms, I attended my first ONE LOVE event, and I got a cavity fixed. This was a bit of a mish-mash month.

October: We're international and we expect to be delighted. Mom and I took our first trip to Mexico for a 4 day stay with a friend in Playa Del Carmen. Food, music, waves, sweat.... Oh man I've never sweat so much in my life. 10 years ago this would have been my dream vacation. Sun, sand, alcohol. Now, I stayed under the umbrella, read books, tried to not pass out, and sipped bottled water (because #mexico) for 4 days. It was great, but I wouldn't mind heading to Canada next time.

November: Does this blog post make me look engaged? We celebrated the guy turning 31, and just when I thought he might be getting to the age I should trade him in, he decided to keep me forever. During our annual (I missed it in 2016) trip to the folk fest, I bought a cobweb broom, ate a lamb gyro, found some teeny tiny pine cones, and picked up one huge rock. On my finger! "Take you out and buy that ring with the rock that'll break your arm."

December: Office parties, so many Christmases, and wedding planning. December was a blur. I didn't start my marathon training on time, but I did think about it. It's the thought that counts, right? I finished the year with 11 books, that I can remember. That's 11 more than I'd read in any of the previous years since middle school. On to 2018!

During the times between these memories I made new friends, reconnected with old friends, started a new health journey with Arbonne, and still didn't change my hair. 

I hope your 2017 was memorable, and that you start 2018 with a new perspective.

It is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful - DS-R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Dam 5k

FRIDAY!!!!!!

Race Recap